MAKING YOUR SOLAR WORK FOR YOU
Solar power generated by your solar installation will always be more cost-efficient than the electricity you purchase from an energy company. So consuming the energy from your solar is the most effective way to save on your power bills and ensure you’re getting the most from your solar system.
Solar systems are designed (or should be) to match self-consumption rather than focus on feed-in tariffs. Experienced solar solution designers should offer solutions that best fit your needs based on your energy habits and solar usage. As solar generates energy in the day, that is the best time to take advantage of the energy. If you are not home during the day, shifting your usage (load) will assist you in using your solar energy more effectively. For example, depending on your household, between 10% and 50% of your power bill can be made up of hot water usage. Here are three tips for changing your energy consumption habits to make better use of your solar system.
- Using a timer on the hot water circuit will make sure your hot water system only uses power during peak solar production. Any good quality licenced electrician will be able to set this up for you.
- Make use of your appliances delay timers. Instead of putting the dishwasher on after dinner, get it ready and set the delay timer to run the cleaning cycle for the following morning once the sun is up (you can do this for your washing machine and dryer as well).
- Think about investing in smart power boards to replace the standard ones you have in items like your TV plugged into, and set a time to turn the connected devices completely off at night instead of staying on standby. Here are some products to consider;
- Arlec Grid Connect Powerboard
- TP-Link KASA SMART Powerboard
- Kogan Smarterhome power board
Another way to harness the energy your solar is generating is battery storage. Battery storage stores all your extra energy for use when you need it, instead of exporting excess power into the grid for little return. Not only does this creates energy savings, reduce carbon, but it is also an excellent long term investment. Having battery storage also protects you from power outages and reduce your dependency on the grid. Find out more about battery storage here.
Find out more about renewable solutions