Solar battery storage
Battery storage is the future of energy in the home.
Whether you want to add solar battery storage to your current solar panel system or start generating power with a complete solar power battery package, solar batteries will help you achieve your goals.
Battery storage means you can harness the sun at all hours. With battery storage from ZEN, the average home could save hundreds on their quarterly electricity bills.
By using clean green solar energy storage, you rely less on dirty coal or gas fired power stations. Battery storage reduces your carbon footprint from the moment it’s installed.
The more you use your own solar power battery, the less you need from the grid. Worry less about ever-increasing power prices by storing excess power to use when you need it.
What is a solar battery and what does it do?
Solar batteries can help you make the most of your solar panels and increase your independence from the grid.
Solar batteries capture excess, unused energy produced by your solar panels, and store it ready for use at night, during cloudy periods, or during a blackout. Storing your self-generated solar energy means you can power your home with clean, green electricity 24/7. You’ll be protected from rising electricity costs from retailers, could have power in a blackout, and you’ll be helping to protect the environment from greenhouse gases from coal-generated electricity.
How does home battery storage work?
1. Create and store electricity
Solar panels generate electricity from sunlight. This energy is used then and there to power your home or, if your home doesn’t need it straight away, it’s sent to your battery to be stored ready for use later on.
2. Use your energy when you need it
You can start using your battery stored electricity when your home’s energy needs become more than what your solar panels can deliver on their own. This could be on cloudy days, at night, or – most importantly – during a blackout.
3. Enjoy the benefits and lower your bills
Powering your home with solar panels and battery storage delivers you benefits for years to come. You’ll be making the most of your solar panels, maximising your energy independence, and lowering your ongoing energy bills.
How much do solar batteries cost?
Solar battery storage systems can start from $8K, depending on your system setup, battery capacity, as well as retailer and brand.
When looking at installing battery storage in your home, it’s worth considering all of the possible benefits against the initial cost. You could also be eligible for cost-saving incentives from your State or Territory Government.
Read our blog, How much does a solar battery cost? to learn more.
How much solar energy could I store?
This depends on the storage capacity of the battery you choose. Popular battery sizes for Australian homes are often around 10 to 15kWh, but the most suitable sized battery depends on your energy goals and your motivations.
If you want to be as independent from the grid as possible, you might opt for multiple batteries and a large solar panel system to go with it, to maximise the amount of time your home can run from your solar panels and your battery instead of relying on the grid.
However, if your motivations are financial, you will need to balance your budget with how much you would like to save on your energy bills as well as your daily electricity usage. You might choose to go with just a single battery to suit your budget and maximise your payback, but this might also mean that you can’t cover off as much of your electricity bill: you may still be relying on a good amount of energy from the grid.
What is the life expectancy of a battery?
Most solar batteries are warranted for at least 10 years, but have expected lifespans of around 20 years or more. Just like your house or car, there are a variety of things that can influence how long your battery investment may last, including:
- The type of solar battery: the composition and its materials
- Usage: how many cycles your battery is put through on a daily or weekly basis, and how deep those cycles are
- Temperature: keeping your battery at an optimal temperature
- Maintenance: monitoring and maintaining your battery to ensure optimal health
Taking good care of your battery, following the manufacturer’s recommendations for use and maintenance, as well as choosing a premium product and reliable provider, can help to ensure that it remains healthy and efficient, optimising the life expectancy and increasing the return on your investment.
Get your free buying guide
As the market continues to grow, so do your options for solar and battery storage – but it can be overwhelming.
- Why should you install a solar battery?
- What effect will this have on your power bills?
- How much storage will you need?
- How do you know which retailer to trust?
This free guide is designed to help you find your perfect solar battery solution.
Is solar battery storage worth it?
Whether a solar battery is a worthwhile, beneficial addition to your solar system depends on your electricity usage patterns and what you want to achieve.
- Use solar power instead of drawing from the grid
- Reduce your carbon footprint by using more renewable energy
- Have power during a blackout
- Save money by minimising your electricity bills
- Protect yourself from rising electricity costs
- With proper care and maintenance, your solar battery could last up to 20 years
- Maximise the energy efficiency of your home
- Upfront investment can be large
- Longer payback than just solar panels alone
- Research to select the right battery for your home can be confusing
- Adding a battery to your solar system could affect your eligibility for existing solar feed-in tariffs
Although the initial cost and time to pay off the investment can be high at first, the long term benefits of solar production and self-reliance generates ongoing savings and protection from rising power costs, making this a smart, long-term investment that’s well worth the upfront cost.
Read more on our blog, What is the payback on battery storage to learn more.
Where to start
Already have an existing solar system?
Adding a battery into your existing system is a fantastic way to add more value to your home energy solution. Having a battery makes your home more self reliant, while optimising the benefits of your solar production. Here’s how to get started with adding a battery to your existing system:
- Review your current solar energy production: are you producing more than you consume?
- Review your current electricity consumption: do you use power during the day or at night?
- Speak to a ZEN Energy consultant to understand which storage options would integrate into your current system, and whether you need additional solar panels installed to make this work.
- Let your ZEN consultant show you the payback period you could achieve and the expected savings to your energy costs over the years to come.
Looking for solar panels with battery storage?
Planning a battery as part of your new solar system is a great way to make sure you’re planning for your long-term future. Here’s how to get started with a solar panel and battery solution:
- Understand how much electricity you currently use: review your power bills for the last 6-12 months and work out your daily average energy usage in kilowatt hours.
- Work out when your household most uses energy. Do you use power mostly during the day or at night? Speak to a ZEN Energy consultant to learn what this means in terms of how many solar panels and what sort of solar panel battery you’ll need to maximise your grid independence.
- Your ZEN Energy consultant will inform you of any subsidies or rebates that might be available for your purchase, like the South Australian Home Battery Scheme.
- Your ZEN consultant can also explain how your solar system batteries could deliver power in a blackout, show you the payback period you could achieve, and calculate the expected savings to your energy costs over the years to come.
We’re here to help
Our expert consultants can help you define your goals and motivations, and select the best type and size of battery for your home. We’ll get to know as much as possible about your energy usage and your home, and ask about your needs, wants, and goals. It’s a big investment, so it’s best to do the research and make a considered choice.
ZEN Hybrid Storage System
A cost-effective energy storage solution with blackout power as standard.
Flexible design, blackout power as standard, and an all-in-one solution to maximise your energy independence and lower your bills
The world's most popular energy storage solution
A lithium-ion battery pack, liquid thermal control system, an integrated inverter and software that intelligently dispatches electricity when it’s needed most
Why lock in to the big retailers for years, when they’re the reason you’re considering solar storage in the first place?
Why ZEN Energy?
ZEN Energy is proudly Australian, and has been since our beginnings in 2004.
Solar & battery storage experts
With over 10 years experience, we’re specialists in our field, and we know solar & battery storage back to front.
A solution designed specifically for you
We find out how much energy you use, when you use it, and what you pay, then design a system specifically to suit your needs.
We won’t lock you in
When you install a solar & battery storage system with ZEN Energy, we won’t lock you in to any ongoing contracts or agreements.
ZEN Technology Partners
After rigorous testing, only the best products and companies are welcomed to the fold as ZEN Technology Partners.
Australian-based customer support
ZEN Energy’s Australian-based customer support team are your first point of contact for any questions or claims.
What our customers say
“I have been using energy storage from ZEN Energy for several months now, and I’m gobsmacked at how little I’ve relied on the grid for my electricity despite inclement weather. If you want to save, solar & battery storage from ZEN is the only way to go!”
Leon Byner, FIVEaa Mornings Announcer